Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Rick Warren-I don't like this!

OK, as anyone who has read my blog knows I am very opinionated, and often my opinions are very liberal. I also hope they have seen my calls for bi-partisanship and post-partisanship as well as a need for balance, pragmatism and wisdom. I have spoken for the need for Americans to be united and the President to be President of EVERYONE. Furthermore, I am a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE Obama fan! I trust his wisdom and direction and decisions.
But I disagree and am very disappointed in the decision to have Rick Warren give the inaugaral invocation.
Yes Warren is more moderate on poverty and AIDS issues-how wonderful of him to actually emulate what was Christ's central ministry! And Yes, civil rights veteran Joe Lowery will be given the benediction-so its not like there will be an all out evangelical right-wing fest.BUT, Rick Warren is a lead advocate against Prop 8 in California-"big deal" you say. "He's a evangelical preacher, big surprise?" You say. Well as recent as since the election Warren compared gay marriage with incest and pedophilia. Warren is also anti-abortion in any circumstance and said he agrees with James Dobson on all social issues, his tone is just softer.
Again, "so what" you say. Well here is "so what" we must move past the divisiveness of these issues and they should NOT be legitimalized. I am not saying we should have Gene Robinson-the 1st gay Bishop in the Episcopal Church-give the invocation, I am fine with a moderate-but that is just it-a moderate. Evangelicals have had a disproportionate influence on politics and government and society in the name of "bi-partisanship, patriotism and moral values". They gave us George W. Bush and still support him-the only ones who do. I am fine with Obama reaching out to Warren and other leaders to bridge the gap, and find consensus. I am NOT ok with him having someone who declared Obama would unleash a holocost on the unborn.
Maybe this is personal-I was told that I'd be going to Hell because I supported Obama-who would allow homosexuals to take over and kill babies. And even as I write this post I feel the pull to trust Obama knows what he is doing and that the potential back-lash of progressives opposition could really alienate evangelicals-which is detrimental to our country. But I feel their views are too out of the mainstream, too corrosive and too wrong direction for our country. To me this sends the wrong message! These are the people who have no problem with Sarah FREAKIN' Palin, for God's sake.

I love Obama and I trust him. But I strongly disagree with this particular olive branch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Obama is a political genius! Keep your friends close.... Don't you see what he's doing? He's strategically picking out those that have opposed him in the past and empowering them in his present, turning off all of the voices that will oppose him in the future. This preacher has a voice, a LOUD voice in American culture. Obama needs him on his side. You will see that Obama's table will be filled with people with all sorts of beliefs and opinions. And many of those people you will not like or agree with, but that is AMERICA. This is a direct quote..."By inviting Rick Warren to your inauguration, you have tarnished the view that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans have a place at your table," Solmonese said in an open letter to Obama that was released by his organization. [G&L] Get over yourselves! America is about bringing different people together even when they don't agree with each other. Sorry, but giving rights to some does not mean we take away rights of others. The preacher has a right to his beliefs. Just as the G&L have a right to enjoy life as they see fit. And Obama has the right to have them all at his table. You know what happens to people that won't come to the party because someone they don't like is there? THEY MISS THE PARTY!

jack b. said...

Chad, I, like you, am a huge Obama fan. But I disagree with your opinion on this Warren deal. To me to get twisted about this is to miss the genius of Obama. He is a conciliator. He reaches out. he doesn't exclude, even when he disagrees with you. I know you know all this, but its important. he is everything Bush is not. try to imagine Bush letting a pro choice or a pro gay rights pastor give a prayer at his inauguration. it would never happen!!! why? because if you're not with him you're an idiot in his book. Barack sends a different message: we don't agree, but i respect you. that's what we need in this country! we're way too polarized. we need to come together and find the spirit of brotherhood, especially when we disagree.

Warren won't be presenting any policy proposals, he won't be even expressing his opinions. he'll be asking the creator to guide and protect our nation and its new leader. and no matter what else we may disagree with him on, we can all say "amen" to that.

--
www.jackbisase.blogspot.com